The objective of collaborative projects is to organize regular meetings on a specific topic. In doing so, the status quo of ongoing research is exchanged and the foundation for new development projects is laid. Below some of our examples:
- In January 2017, the internationalization project Medical Technology International and Digital (MInD) launched by MedicalMountains
- In April 2015, the CleanMed collaboration project was launched under the direction of MedicalMountains.
- MedicalMountains also cooperates with Fraunhofer IPA in the MediClean industrial group.
MInD -Medical technology International and Digital
MInD-project promotes the adaptation of digital and additive technologies into the R&D activities of the medical technology cluster and acts as a “door opener” to market-oriented, international cooperation.
The German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) promotes international cooperation between small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). MedicalMountains has received BMBF-funding from nationwide funding program to promote the cooperation of regional clusters and networks with international partners. This led to the project “MInD – Medical technology International and Digital” .
Digitalization and 3D printing as future-oriented megatrends offer economic opportunities and high innovation potential for the companies of the medical technology cluster in Tuttlingen. The use of these technologies is still not sufficiently available in the cluster of traditional medical technologies. In future, digitalization and 3D Printing will be the key technologies in the region’s product development.
- to implement international research, development, and innovation (R&D&I) projects between with the companies from Tuttlingen and the target regions of Finland and the USA.
- the projects aim to realize digitalization and 3D Printing in medical technology, resulting in new innovative products, solutions and services of the SMEs
- to intensify international collaboration and to develop new competences
Medical technology and digital expertise forming the future
2. Visionaries’ Workshop – Tuttlingen meets USA in April
Medical technology and additive manufacturing for future-oriented innovations
A groundbreaking project was launched in April 2015 under the direction of the cluster organization MedicalMountains in Tuttlingen:
In the meantime, 27 network partners have joined forces to form “CleanMed – the competence network for technical cleanliness, cleanability and sterilization in medical technology”, funded by the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology within the framework of the Central Innovation Program “Mittelstand” (ZIM).
The goal of the network is to develop new processes and services with which products can be produced as freely as possible from production residues and which are also easy to clean and sterilize during the use cycle.
The network is concerned with five fields of technology and competencies in which various projects are developed and processed:
1) “Standardization and Validation”
2) “Construction and Reconstruction”
3) “Functional Surfaces”
4) “Technical cleanliness in production”
The broad excellence network includes both development providers, the classic manufacturers of medical instruments and implants, as well as manufacturers of cleaning equipment and cleaning agents. In addition, service providers for cleaning processes are integrated. Furthermore, renowned addresses for technical cleanliness are represented from research.
In the long term, the collaboration network could become an established center of excellence for the cleaning of medical devices with established structures, procedures and sustainable self-financing. As a result, the competitiveness of the companies involved will be significantly improved. Because technical cleanliness, cleanability and sterilisability as a quality feature for implants and instruments from the Cluster MedicalMountains strengthen the market outlook and therefore the location significantly.
More information of CleanMed can be found here: www.clean-med.de