The objective of collaborative projects is to organize regular meetings on a specific topic. In doing so, the status quo of ongoing research is exchanged and the foundation for new development projects is laid. Below some of our examples:
- In January 2017, the internationalization project Medical Technology International and Digital (MInD) launched by MedicalMountains
- In April 2015, the CleanMed collaboration project was launched under the direction of MedicalMountains.
- Since May 2018 is MedicalMountains project partner in the transnational collaboration project Towards the machining shop-floor of the future – Machining 4.0.
- MedicalMountains also cooperates with Fraunhofer IPA in the MediClean industrial group.
MInD -Medical technology International and Digital
MInD-project promotes the adaptation of digital and additive technologies into the R&D activities of the medical technology cluster and acts as a “door opener” to market-oriented, international cooperation.
The German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) promotes international cooperation between small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). MedicalMountains has received BMBF-funding from nationwide funding program to promote the cooperation of regional clusters and networks with international partners. This led to the project “MInD – Medical technology International and Digital” .
Digitalization and 3D printing as future-oriented megatrends offer economic opportunities and high innovation potential for the companies of the medical technology cluster in Tuttlingen. The use of these technologies is still not sufficiently available in the cluster of traditional medical technologies. In future, digitalization and 3D Printing will be the key technologies in the region’s product development.
- to implement international research, development, and innovation (R&D&I) projects between with the companies from Tuttlingen and the target regions of Finland and the USA.
- the projects aim to realize digitalization and 3D Printing in medical technology, resulting in new innovative products, solutions and services of the SMEs
- to intensify international collaboration and to develop new competences
Medical technology and digital expertise forming the future
2. Visionaries’ Workshop – Tuttlingen meets USA in April
Medical technology and additive manufacturing for future-oriented innovations
A groundbreaking project was launched in April 2015 under the direction of the cluster organization MedicalMountains in Tuttlingen:
In the meantime, 27 network partners have joined forces to form “CleanMed – the competence network for technical cleanliness, cleanability and sterilization in medical technology”, funded by the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology within the framework of the Central Innovation Program “Mittelstand” (ZIM).
The goal of the network is to develop new processes and services with which products can be produced as freely as possible from production residues and which are also easy to clean and sterilize during the use cycle.
The network is concerned with five fields of technology and competencies in which various projects are developed and processed:
1) “Standardization and Validation”
2) “Construction and Reconstruction”
3) “Functional Surfaces”
4) “Technical cleanliness in production”
The broad excellence network includes both development providers, the classic manufacturers of medical instruments and implants, as well as manufacturers of cleaning equipment and cleaning agents. In addition, service providers for cleaning processes are integrated. Furthermore, renowned addresses for technical cleanliness are represented from research.
In the long term, the collaboration network could become an established center of excellence for the cleaning of medical devices with established structures, procedures and sustainable self-financing. As a result, the competitiveness of the companies involved will be significantly improved. Because technical cleanliness, cleanability and sterilisability as a quality feature for implants and instruments from the Cluster MedicalMountains strengthen the market outlook and therefore the location significantly.
More information of CleanMed can be found here: www.clean-med.de
Within the framework of the funding programme Interreg North-West Europe an international project team develop measures to support the machining industry (turning, milling, drilling) in North-West Europe.
The project aims to increase the knowledge level of machining SMEs and transform them into more innovative enterprises by transferring knowledge on innovative technologies, stimulating hands-on experimenting and supporting the transformation process.
- An online portal provides free access to specialized knowledge on innovative technologies for machining.
- A transnational fieldlab network integrates seven regional fieldlabs and gives machining SMEs open access to complamentary state-of-the-art equipment and inspiring demonstrators.
- Twelve machining applications – based on the typical challenges from the NEW machining sector – are co-developed with the machining SMEs to translate the broad Industry 4.0 Vision into tangible applications with high potential for machining.
- A voucher scheme is set-up to (financially) support machining SMEs that want to transform their production systems (50 transformation vouchers of 20.000 €)
- 50 machining SMEs are intensively supported and coached to define their transformation plan and start the integration of innovative technologies in their production system.
Project outputs are planned under care of EFFRA and transferred across different sectors in NWE. 1.000 SMEs aquired knowledge oin innovative machining technologies, 250 SMEs experimented with new technologies and collaborated with R&D partners and 50 SMEs received intensive business support. This increase the knowledge and innovation level for machining in NWE.
Read more about the project on the project website.